Mar 21, 2010

A Sunday Point of View

From my blog this past week, you can see I had a pretty crappy week. I was thinking about this yesterday and, mainly, reflecting on what I can do to make this coming week better.

Then I remembered.

This time last year, actually this week last year, my husband Dennis was in the Neuro ICU at a Toronto hospital recovering from brain surgery to clip two brain aneurysms. He was in a drug-induced coma and we were facing the prospect of losing him.

This week, he is about 95% recovered and we are blessed.

Compared to that - this week was a breeze. That week, that event;  that was the worst experience I have ever had in my 42 years.  This past week was a pothole in the road of life, and not a very big one at that.

Since I spent most of last week feeling like I had no control over many things - I decided to control what I could. I could control what I put into my mouth and I could control how much I exercise, I had set a goal of 20km for this week and to walk 7/7 days.

With some help from two great women in my life, Shelley and Tina, and her lovely dog, Sadie and Den - I hit the 20km mark today - right on time.

And with the help of Tiffany and all my other blogger friends, I was encouraged to keep going when I thought I didn't want to anymore.  You guys all rock!!

I didn't do 7/7 days but I am happy  ecstatic with the 6/7 and the 20.79km.




Next week's exercise goal is to move for 7 hours. I'm not setting a distance because I may not walk the entire time,  I may choose to do something else - but I will move for 7 hours next week. I'll let you know how I do!  This is going to be a busy week for me at work, we are processing month end billing - but I am going to get out at lunch time and walk and I am going to pack my lunch/snacks the night before. If I don't do it the night before, it doesn't get done at all. 


These things I can (and will) control.  

What is in your control this week to help you to reach your goals?


 Sunday
Points Eaten 25/26
Activity Points Earned 5.5
Moving 1 hr 16 min - 5.59 km
 


P.S. Crys - I used LiveWriter to design yesterday's post. The photos and text are actually in the cells of a table, then I turned off the table borders. I tried emailing you but the address didn't seem to work and for some reason, I couldn't leave a comment on your blog, it kept refreshing the page when I hit post.

10 comments:

  1. Nice post...there are very important things within our control. We have more power than we give ourselves credit for...more strength. Happy blessings for your husband's recovery and the strength you've shown throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work this week, Enz! 20 km - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely puts it into perspective when you think back to what was going on last year.

    Glad all is well with your husband.

    Control what you can and work it out!!!

    Hugs Enz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive on all accounts. I shopped at Sherway Gardens today and I looked out for you...just in case. Isn't that cute?

    How do you strike out words???

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you! I love the fact that you've picked yourself up and decided to take control of the things you can. To me, that is a true sign of success.

    Keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You couldn't have posted a more important piece...

    FOCUSING ON WHAT WE CAN CONTROL IS LIFE ALTERING!!!

    Too often, we concentrate on everything BUT what we can control, and see the things we don't have.

    Everything that's out of our control should be put to the side, left there for those who think THEY can control them.

    Dayne

    ReplyDelete
  7. U got an award, go to my site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anniversary Syndrome. It seems that while our head may forget the dates( the conscious thinking part that is) our subconscious and body remember on a deep level. The anniversary of any stressful, traumatic event will often make us feel achy, physically off, tired, moody and more. I go through the same thing every year in August- my first baby was a stillbirth and every cell in my body seems to remember that day. It was almost 20 years ago but my body still seems to retain the memory. Once the4 day passes, all is well again. It's just one of the mysteries of being human I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I started reading your blog a little before Dennis was in the hospital, and I CANT BELIEVE it's been a year since that happened! That is crazy. I'm so glad that his recovery has gone so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must have been a difficult year for you and your family but I'm happy to hear your husband is doing so well right now.

    ReplyDelete