Feb 21, 2012

Pancake Tuesday

Today I got back on track, eating three meals and one snack. My stomach had a few iffy moments, but everything stayed down…so this is a good thing!

I’m following the metabolic diet I mentioned a few weeks ago and also counting net carbs just to get an idea of where I’m sitting. This week I am keeping track of WW points as well, to make sure my gain last week wasn’t from overeating the previous week – you never know til you check it out, right? 

It seems a bit convoluted  but I'm a data girl so it makes sense to me. The "what to eat part" is easy enough except I struggle with eating animal protein of any kind and I can only eat so many egg whites!  Really it’s all just changing habits and cutting out those foods that are not good for me. I know that processed carbs and even some of the healthy carbs aren’t good for me. Eventually, they’ll kill me or do irreparable damage so I need to fix this now while I’m healthy enough to do so.

Today is Pancake Day and Pancake Days of years gone by included incredibly fluffy and huge pancakes smothered with maple syrup, whip cream and strawberries (to make them healthier….you know!).  My boys actually don’t like pancakes but I still wanted some so I made up my own recipe. They came out pretty good! Topped with just one sliced strawberry  and some sugar free syrup and a side of peameal bacon – this was a great meal that fit into my plan and is low in carbs. The recipe makes four small  pancakes, about 2-3 inches across.

I really have to learn to look at food differently – as fuel so I can live a long life, so I can exercise better, so I can feel better. These pancakes are good fuel – full of protein, some healthy carbs and a reasonable portion size.

This is a big change in mindset and it’s going to take some time, but it is a change that I need to make.

Recipe

2 egg whites
¼ cup wheat bran
¼ cup non fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup shredded zucchini (squeeze to remove water)
1/8 tsp baking powder
juice of half a lemon and zest

In a small bowl, lightly beat egg whites. Stir in yogurt.
In separate bowl, mix wheat bran and baking powder.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined.
Stir in zucchini.
Stir in lemon juice and zest.
 
Heat a non stick skillet until very, very hot and drop mixture using a large tablespoon.
Cook until lightly browned on each side.

1 comment:

  1. Those pancakes sound wonderful. Had to laugh I too am a data junkie.

    ReplyDelete