Jul 10, 2012

Book Review: Naturally Pain Free



Disclaimer:
I was given this book by the Publisher, for free, to provide a review on my blog. My review and opinions are my own and not influenced by receiving the book free.

Naturally Pain Free
Author: Letha Hadady, D.Ac.
ISBN: 978-1-4022-6531-0
Pub: Sourcebooks Inc.

Amazon link: Naturally Pain Free

Naturally Pain Free offers non-pharmaceutical alternatives to manage chronic and acute pain for many common conditions. This includes massage therapy, herbal remedies, exercises and diet advice.

I liked the way the book is set out in sections, which meet the need to manage pain but also the priority for avoiding pain in the first place. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, right?

Pain Prevention and Care
Heal Quickly and Painlessly
A Pain-Free Lifestyle

Topics covered include headaches, backaches, sciatica, arthritis, digestive issues, female issues, sports and computer injuries, skin and teeth pain as well as nerves and a discussion of what causes pain.
The writing style is easy to understand and not the least bit technical, in fact, its almost like a casual conversation which makes it easy to read. Despite that, the author packs a lot of information into each section

Some information was not new to me especially in the section of herbal remedies – my Nonna always prescribed chamomile tea for sleeplessness and peppermint tea for a sour stomach -  but I was intrigued to learn more about touch healing (Reiki). It was also interesting to me to learn the effect that diet can have as a source of pain and being a cure for pain management. This is something I have already started to research more on my own, as a result of having read this book.

The one criticism I have is that it would be nice to have more comprehensive index of specific ailments than the generic ones in the table of contents, so I could look up, for example, bruising and know where in the book this is addressed. With this feature, the book could also be used a reference guide afer completely  reading it.

If you live with chronic pain or are interested in having a healthier body and mind, then this is definitely worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother always gave us chamomile whiskey for sleeplessness.

    ReplyDelete