Jun 18, 2009

Eating what I want.

Hello everyone,

First off, I want to say I am in a much better frame of mind today than I have been in the last week or so. I have been eating and sleeping properly and it makes a world of difference!

I've also gotten in the breakfast habit again. Breakfast is the hardest meal for me. I just don't feel hungry when I wake up and I don't like to eat until I've been up a few hours. So I've reconquered that challenge with my Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's easy, quick and doesn't feel like "food" and doesn't leave me feeling like I've eaten - in a good way! If I blend it with ice and skim milk it tasts like a decadent chocolate milk shake. Then about 2 hours later I have a snack which is more like a breakfast. This has worked in the past and I know will work if I just stick to it.

Secondly, I've been planning meals, grocery shopping and cooking again - most important thing for me is to be organized, it makes me feel in control and gives me a better chance at success.

Oh...the junk food part. Today at work my coworkers went out for greasy burger and fries and we had leftover cookies after a meeting. I didn't go with them, I stayed at the office and ate my homemade tomato vegetable soup, which was delicious and I really enjoyed the quietness of being the only one in the trailer for an hour - sheer bliss! I also didn't eat any of the cookies. I wasn't hungry and they weren't "calling me" you know? I knew if I ate one, it would be just because they were there, if they weren't there I wouldn't think of having a cookie....and that wasn't a good enough excuse. If I had really wanted one, believe me, I would have indulged and just figured out how to count the points. There have been times in the past, and probably will be again, when I did eat them just because they were there and they were yummy.

So...although I was virtuous this afternoon, I did drive home wanting junk food. I had to stop at Costco on the way home and I avoided the snack bar, I just picked up a Coke Zero because I wanted something sweet and I find that Coke Zero is very sweet tasting so it satisfied my sweet tooth. When I got home, I made two chicken wieners on Smart Thins Hot Dog Buns with salsa and fried onions. I had it with a glass of my special lemonade (crushed ice, Real Lemon juice and a teaspoon of Splenda), its my new favourite drink and is helping me wean off of Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi. I was full, I probably could have left half of one of the hotdogs, but as usual, I was eating so fast that my brain didn't register full til about 10 minutes later. But it felt like a real junk food fix and definitely was worth the 11 points to satisfy that itch.

I know if I hadn't done that, I would have had a lower point dinner and then grazed all night before finally giving in to something junky i.e. chips, cookies, cheese and crackers etc. I still have 7 points left for the night and I usually have a skim milk latte and arrowroot cookies before I go to bed because I need to take diabetic medication before I go to bed and it has to be with food.

I think today I realised that I can eat what I want if I truly want it and I can make minor adjustments to meals to make them more WW friendly and use my points better.

1 comment:

  1. That is the exact reason that Weight Watchers works fo rme. I would not be able to do a diet that made me give up a whole food group or give up sweets ALL THE TIME. It would be way too hard. I think that's why weight watchers works for people who have more issues with food than just being lazy or not exercising.

    ReplyDelete