Feb 20, 2011

Day 51, New Year

 

Two days down and one to go for Operation: Stay on Track this Long WeekendIt was less of a “munchy” day today. That’s one of the things I love about Weight Watchers, you learn to eat the right amount of food but it doesn’t matter how or when you break up your meals. I used two of my weekly points today.

Today I was reminded of the first 5-6 years when Den and I were first married, before we had the boys. I used to work a full time job, a part time job, and take college courses part time on weekends/evenings. The only day I would ever have completely off was Sunday.

Sunday mornings we would sleep in, go somewhere nice for brunch, a long drive in the country and then stop at a market (most times a farmer’s market) and pick up our groceries for the week. Head home, a lovely afternoon nap and then prep/cook for the week ahead.

I had so little time at home then, if I didn’t make all our lunches and most of our meals – we would have been eating out all the time – something we couldn’t afford to do financially or logistically, I didn’t even drive back then!  It was fun on Sundays to plan meals for the week and then make them, package them and label them. We both loved to cook and try new recipes and ingredients.

Weekday mornings started at 5 a.m. and we could just grab our lunches/snacks for the day and go. Dinner was sometimes a half hour squeezed in between work and school or sometimes after my part time job at 11 p.m., but there was always something ready to throw in the oven or microwave.

It was important to me then, that we didn’t waste money on eating out and that we ate healthy because we were both so busy and could not afford to get sick.

Then we had Iain and I quit the part time job, and took a break from school (I didn’t go back until Liam was in kindergarten) and somehow although I always made sure Iain had home made baby food and ate well, me and Den relied more and more on takeout. Going out for dinner became routine rather than the once in a while treat and somehow, cooking and prepping became a chore rather than something I loved to do.

Over the last few years, I’ve rediscovered my love of cooking and sometimes I’m really excited about trying something new again.

Sunday  

Points Plus

straw 1 cup strawberries
1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Go Lean Crunch
1 tbsp maple syrup
coffee with cream

6

Spinach 1/4 cup spinach dip
10 multigrain rice crackers

4

sheperds pie Shepherd’s Pie
and mixed vegetables

15

sheperds pie Baked apple topped with pecans and light whip cream

4

Miscellaneous Coffee with cream

2

Total Points Plus for Day

31

No comments:

Post a Comment