Dec 27, 2011

Day 330 - 361

It's been a while!

Happy Almost New Year to all of you out there.

What have I been up to? Not a heck of a lot. The two weeks leading up to Christmas I was pretty much off the healthy living wagon, no tracking, not really counting anything, and exercise was very sporadic or irregular (like 4 days in a row, then nothing for a week - repeat). I have to admit the stress of the holidays always makes me forget everything but the cleaning, cooking, and shopping I have to do for that one day. Now that day is over I feel like life can go back to normal. I have the Resolution Run scheduled for New Year's Eve and I am fairly confident that I am not going to be able to run 5k straight, I haven't done it in over a month and the most I have run at one time was 4k a few weeks ago. In all fairness, I did go through three weeks of physio for strained hamstring muscles that definitely sidelined my running efforts and made me question whether someone my size should be running at all if its that much strain on my body.

I might just do intervals of 10/1 and see how that goes. I really don't enjoy running. I never seemed to get that runners high people talk about and I don't get a huge sense of accomplishment  or have the urge to "go further or faster". I just do it because its a form of exercise that I can do. I am somewhat disappointed because I really wanted to like running and so many people LOVE it, that I almost feel like there's something wrong with me for not loving it. The people who do love it, keep telling me to stick with it and eventually I will love it. But the problem is that because I don't love it, I have very little motivation or inclination to stick with it. On top of that, I run slowly, so running with other people is very demotivating and doesn’t encourage me at all.

I did manage to get hold of a used (and very cheap) Garmin Forerunner 305 that I am hoping will at least keep me interested. I also have my gym membership til the end of February to get through the end off the Winter because I really don't like the cold, conversely, I don't like running on the treadmill either. I know...stop whinging and just get on with it. I am considering doing a 10K Running Room clinic in January just to keep me focused and actually doing something.

Weight wise - I gained about 5lbs when I was away for my birthday at the end of October that I haven't been able to shake and then I've gained 3 more over Christmas, so I am feeling bloated and heavy and gross. So its definitely time to get my $hit together and get back on track. Part of that is to make more an effort to fit blogging into my schedule.

I am off to read your blogs and see how you’re all doing!

2 comments:

  1. 2012 ready or not - here we come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two weeks have been off plan and pretty much coach potato for me. I too don't love running, I hope I do as I work at it. It's an efficient exercise and like you said so many people seem to love it. I guess the important thing is movement is movement and it's burning calories whether we walk or run.

    ReplyDelete