Dec 31, 2011

Day 365– New Year

The Resolution Run was today. The Universe loved me today because we had unseasonably high temperatures (+5), no wind, no snow and no rain. I could not have ordered better weather for the run.

It was a much bigger turnout than I expected and that panicked me a little as I really don't like crowds but once we started running and the runners pulled away and the walkers fell behind, Melissa and I were in our own little bubble most of the way.

I had decided I would start running and just see how I could do. My plan was to do 10's and 1's with Melissa for as long as I could and then walk the rest of the way.

Although I couldn't keep up with her, she was about 20 feet ahead of me almost the whole way - I did manage to keep the pace and ran 4 intervals of 10's and walked 3 intervals of 1's. It was hard. No lying - my breathing was all over the place and my legs felt like they had no momentum at all. But we did it.

Time was 43:04 which I am pretty pleased with considering how crappy I felt before and during and that I walked for 3 minutes. I loved my Garmin. It beeped every 500 metres like I wanted it too, and although I had set it for 10’s and 1’s, I don’t think it actually worked properly, so I need to recheck how that part works. I couldn’t figure out the backlight while I was running so I was using streetlights (when there were any) to read it as I went so I also need to look into that, and it also beeped when my pace went below the threshold I set. I really liked it.  All in all, it was worth the investment!

Thanks Melissa and Tiffany for their encouragement, support and running with me this week. Love you guys.

Pics to follow.

5 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you. I can't even imagine running for 10 min straight. That will be a goal in 2012. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work... Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Enz! I was just catching up on your blog when you commented on mine - what a coincidence! :)

    Great job on the run & happy new year!

    One of these days I will hopefully come up with a blog post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Enz!!!

    Happy New Year and all the best for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very glad you were there with me. Could you have imagined us running 5K a year ago? So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete