Jun 30, 2012

Fat/Salt/Sweet

I'm on Chapter 5 and as I read this book, I am recalling another book that talks about the overstimulation of processed food because of the oversaturation of these flavours - salt/sweet/fat - The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler.

Although his book was eye opening, I seem to remember he focused  more on the fast food industry and restaurant food and how the food is engineered to  create craving and addiction to fat/salt/sweet. 

I never looked at restaurant food the same way again after reading that book and drastically cut my eating out down to once month from 2-3 times a week and now I always try to choose foods that have been altered as little as possible when at a restaurant and avoid the processed salad dressings and sauces that covers so much of it, serving only to get in as much fat/salt/sweet as possible.

Kessler's book though, didn't really offer a practical solution - it was all education and information giving.

It Starts With Food is offering advice and a plan. That's what we need to break the cycle of overeating and although Kessler explains the same theory, that these engineered, processed foods screw with our brain patterns, I feel that the Hartwigs' book explains it so much better and I especially am in awe of the difference  between satiety and satiation and why some foods cause us to overeat.

I will keep reading, I'm gearing up to start my Whole30 on July 2nd.  Groceries are in the house and pantry is clean and lean.

No comments:

Post a Comment