Jul 21, 2012

Day 19 - Whole 30

Wow...I am in the home stretch!!!.


Now that I have gotten used to eating meat/eggs for two meals a day (when before the Whole 30 I would them eat 4-5 meals a week) I think I'm ready to try doing it for breakfast - not every day but I'm going to try half the week for this week and see how it goes. I'd like to get away from all processed foods and the whey protein is the last hold out now.


This morning I created what I am calling "Sweet Potato Patties".


This is a very loose recipe as I just threw it all together in a bowl and hoped for the best.


about 1/2 sweet potato grated
red onion chopped as fine as you can
green pepper chopped as fine as you can
hot pepper chopped  as fine as you can
1 egg
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste
just enough almond meal to make it stick together (it was about 1/3 cup)\
Mix well with a fork.


It made three generous size patties. They were still very wet and eggy but they cooked up ok. I pan fried in EVOO on med heat. Be careful because sweet potatoes burn very quickly because of the sugar in them. I turned  them a few times before they were done. They were golden crisp on the outside and soft on the inside...delicious. I think next time, I will just cook them on both sides for a minute or two to get golden them pop them in the oven to finish that way I don't have to watch them as closely.


Now this is not a high protein breakfast (with only one egg) but you could amp up the protein by adding some leftover precooked meat or having it with yogurt (after the Whole30).


We ate them with a side of bacon rashers and cantaloupe. To make the bacon rashers more palatable this time, I made a rub of cayenne, chili powder, salt, pepper and crushed garlic and olive oil  and marinated for about an hour. It still didn't taste like commercial bacon, but it tasted a lot better than it did the last time I tried it!


You know what else I've noticed the last week or so? We have way less recycling and much more organic waste than before. So this way of eating is definitely better for the environment too!


Eats for Day 19:


Breakfast: sweet potato patty; bacon rashers; cantaloupe; iced coffee with light coconut milk


Lunch: pulled chicken/pulled beef; coleslaw


Dinner: more pulled chicken/pulled beef; coleslaw

2 comments:

  1. Those patties sound good! Yum -- kinda like latkes, which I LOVE.

    Are you finding it easier to eat all that meat now? I'm impressed with how well you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!

      Thank you! There were some rough days but I think I'm in a groove now. The digestive enzymes have helped so much with the meat, maybe that has been my problem all along.

      Delete