Sep 26, 2016

Feeling Fine Monday!

Halfway through my second week of WW and so far so good.  I’ve hit my goal of 5,000 steps every day and exceeded it most days this week.  On Thursday I’ll up it to 7,500.  Most days I am exceeding even that, but I am setting realistic goals instead of lofty goals then disappointing myself and feeling like a failure.  I know it’s all in my mind and that’s my biggest enemy!

I did meet with my friend yesterday who recently had WLS. She looks great- not just weight wise, but her skin and eyes and hair are glowing. I’ve never seen her looking so healthy and happy. I am so thrilled for her.  We talked a lot about the process, the surgery and expectations.

I did meet with my own doctor last week and he is getting me a referral to the bariatric program at the local hospital for both the surgical and medical bariatric program.  He has said I likely won’t qualify for surgery so not to get my hopes up (but honestly, I haven’t even made up my mind one way or the other – I am still in the information stage) but he feels that some support would be helpful since I manage to lose weight but can’t seem to maintain the loss. He is a wonderful doctor, he did say that I can’t take all the blame – some of it is genetics, some of it is metabolic syndrome (PCOS, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia) but maybe with more support and someone following me closely medically, I may have more success with maintenance even if I don’t get to my goal weight.   

We also talked about ‘goal weight’ and because I am only 5 feet tall, the charts say I should be 130-135 at the top end of the scale.  He thinks 150-160 is more realistic at my age and body type and health issues. Of course, he said don’t settle if you can do better, but don’t kill yourself trying to get there either. If I can maintain at 160 and all my blood work is good, although still overweight, I will be in a better place than I am at 220+. 

I am open to any and all suggestions because this pattern is old and making me wonder why I bother.  Not to mention that I am not a failure, in other areas of my life and this weight loss – non-success makes me feel like one.

I do have the support of some very good friends so I can’t say I am alone in this and I know how fortunate I am to have that.


Today is a good day. I am feeling strong, confident and ready to take on the world.  Let’s hold on to that!

2 comments:

  1. I feel so much the same way about not being a failure in other areas of my life. I do well at work, have an advanced degree, certifications, and always seem to do what I set out to do...except lose weight!

    If you don't qualify for surgery, will your doctor still be helping you with a weight loss plan or support of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. There are 2 programs. One is surgical the other is medical which is a dietician, and a nurse practitioner to follow me and provide support.

    ReplyDelete